Overview of the year’s main achievements
- Major progress with digitisation
- Major acquisitions
- Business & IP Centre activities
- Collection stewardship achievements
- Copyright debate and the Digital Economy Bill
- Major exhibitions
- Achievements in science, technology and medicine
- Achievements in scholarship & collections
- Other notable developments
Collection stewardship achievements
- The British Library’s new £26 million Additional Storage Building (ASB) at Boston Spa in West Yorkshire was opened by regional minister the Rt Hon Rosie Winterton MP. The world’s most advanced storage facility, the ASB applies the latest technology to provide 262 kilometres of storage space with controlled temperature and humidity. It will eventually house approximately seven million items from the UK national collection.
- The Government made a commitment of £33 million to preserve and make accessible the world’s greatest newspaper collection. Currently housed in sub-optimal conditions in Colindale, the collection will be moved to a new state-of-the-art storage facility at Boston Spa, with digital and microfilm access from St Pancras.