Freedom of Information Publication Scheme
This page brings together publications relating to the structure of the Library, its organisation, and what we do.
5. Our Policies and Procedures
Policies and Procedures for the Conduct of Business
The Code of Practice for members of the British Library Board.
The Library's Risk Management Policy.
The Library's Responsible Procurement Policy.
Policies and Procedures for the Provision of Services
The Library's Content Strategy, Selection Policy (for Document Supply), Ethical Acquisitions Policy, and Policy on Donations of Material to the Collections.
The Library's Conservation Policy.
The Library's Digitisation Strategy.
The Library's Deaccessioning Policy.
Items in the Library's Collections are generally available to all of the British library's Readers, subject to certain restrictions for conservation, security, privacy or legal reasons, and to our Conditions of Use. Our website provides information about how to become a Reader.
The Library's policy on Loans to Other Institutions for Exhibition.
Policies and Procedures for the Recruitment and Employment of Staff
The Library's Health & Safety Policy.
The Library's Staff Handbook and People Policies contain the terms and conditions of service which apply to British Library employees. The People Policies replace sections of the Staff Handbook that have become out of date or overtaken by changes to employment law:
- Section A - Introduction
- Section B - Appointment of Staff & Conditions of Employment
- Section C - Pay
- Section E - Hours of Attendance
- Section F - Leave & Holidays
- Section G - Sick Leave & Sick Pay
- Section H - Parental Leave & Pay
- Section L - Travel & Subsistence
- Section M - Conduct & Discipline
- Section N - Industrial Relations Framework
- Section P - General
- Capability & Inefficiency Policy
- Career Development Policy
- Conduct at Work Policy
- Dignity & Respect at Work Policy
- Disciplinary Policy
- Domestic Abuse Policy
- Flexible Working Hours Policy
- Grievance Policy
- Learning & Development Policy
- Management of Occupational Stress Policy
- Managing Attendance Policy
- Personal Use of Collections Policy
- Prevention & Management of Abuse Towards Staff Policy
- Probation Policy
- Reasonable Adjustment Policy
- Relocation Policy
- Restructure, Redeployment & Redundancy Policy
- Retirement Policy
- Right to Request Flexible Working Policy
- Safeguarding Children & Young People Policy
- Same Grade Reporting Policy
- Secondment Policy
- Smoking Policy
- Substance Abuse Policy
- Whistleblowing Policy
The Library's Code of Service. If you wish to make a complaint about the Library's service then please follow our Complaints Management Process to ensure that the appropriate member of staff can address your concerns as quickly as quickly as possible.
Records Management and Personal Data Policies
The Library's Personal Information Policy.
The Library's Freedom of Information Policy.