British Library Board vacancy: Property Development and Estates Management
The Department for Culture, Media, and Sport (DCMS) is seeking to recruit an exceptional individual with a high level of expertise in the area of property development and estates management to serve as a part-time non-executive member of the British Library Board.
All candidates must be able to demonstrate:
- commitment to, and understanding of, the activities and services of the British Library and its public service and entrepreneurial goals;
- interest in the strategic issues facing the national library in the context of the UK's research infrastructure and knowledge economy over the next decade;
- sound intellectual and judgmental skills, experience of strategic decision-making, and the ability to operate effectively at Board level or equivalent;
- sound communication skills, and the ability to act as an ambassador for the Library to people of all backgrounds and to engage in profile raising, to be an articulate and enthusiastic exponent of both its traditional strengths and also its strategic agenda for redefining the Library for the digital age; and
- willingness to participate fully and to network in support of the Library’s fund-raising activities.
In addition, for the role of Member with Property Development and Estates Management expertise, the successful candidate will:
- have a proven track record in large-scale commercial property development and asset management at senior executive and Board level;
- be capable of providing input and oversight at boardroom level in relation to this critical area for the British Library;
- be able to demonstrate an understanding of the issues around managing a property portfolio for the wider public good.
How to apply
For further information about this role, please download the role specification (PDF format).
The closing date for applications is Sunday 18 March 2012.
Candidates should be available for interview on Wednesday 18 April (08.30 - 13.00) in London.
Andy Stephens OBE
Board Secretary and Head of International Engagement
The British Library
96 Euston Road
London NW1 2DB
Tel: +44 (0)20 7412 7269
Fax: +44 (0)20 7412 7093
Alternatively, printed application packs can be obtained from the Board Secretary at the address above.
Documentation and links
Further information about the British Library
Further information about public appointments
For further information about public appointments administered by the Department for Culture Media and Sport and related websites, please go to http://www.culture.gov.uk/about_us/public_appointments/default.aspx.
Other supporting documentation from the DCMS can be found at http://www.culture.gov.uk/about_us/public_appointments/6302.aspx.
Find out more about the Commissioner for Public Appointments and how to make a complaint at http://www.culture.gov.uk/images/publications/OCPA_Complaints.pdf.