Support research communities in key areas for social and economic benefit
Our vision for 2020
In the 2020 environment, researchers will require services to be contextualised, personalised, ‘intelligent’ and highly differentiated to their specific needs.
Our ambition is to support research excellence, new forms of creativity and economic benefit, through providing tailored research services.
We can only do this in a small number of sectors in which we can make a demonstrable difference. In partnership, we will develop differentiated services in a small number of focused areas which include for example: researchers in the digital humanities, environmental scientists, researchers studying management and business, entrepreneurs and growth businesses, the creative industries, and researchers in inter- and multi-disciplinary fields.
We will monitor these areas as well as new research challenges as they emerge to ensure our resources have maximum impact. Strong partnerships, digital scholarship skills and a blend of public service and commercial activities will be critical to achieving this vision.
Streaming video in Windows Media format. 1m:19s
Please note that this video is optimised for viewing over a broadband internet connection.
In this video: Richard Ranft, Head of the British Library Sound Archive
To deliver our vision we will:
- Provide tailored services, in partnership, for researchers in focused areas which:
- Demonstrate a clear need for public service
- Provide a major contribution to innovation, economic output or social value
- Enable us, together with our partners, to demonstrate significant capability and competency in provision, and to add significant value
- Undertake continuous measurement of our performance in offering tailored services so that we can recalibrate our services accordingly.