Lead and collaborate in growing the world’s knowledge base
Our vision for 2020
In a digital 21st century, where the flow of information is instantaneous and without boundaries, we must define the role of a national library in the global information network. In 2020 the British Library will be an enabling force in the global networked environment of users, libraries, archives, research institutions and information providers from the public and private sectors. We will be a major hub in a truly global networked partnership for information.
Streaming video in Windows Media format. 1m:19s
Please note that this video is optimised for viewing over a broadband internet connection.
To deliver our vision we will:
- Lead debates, champion agendas and provide guidance and advocacy to the international information community in strategy and policy, information standards, planning, business models, preservation and digitisation
- Use our trusted brand, authoritative voice and neutral position to bring organisations together for the benefit of research
- Engage in significant international cultural diplomacy efforts through the exchange of ideas and information, and by developing capability and capacity in other national libraries and research institutions
- Engage in a range of partnership models which will include:
- Shared service programmes of benefit to knowledge institutions, facilitating a reduction in the total cost of the network through sharing resources and avoiding duplication
- Public-private partnerships as well as public funding arrangements that will help us to deliver our vision in a challenging financial climate
- Enabling users to share their expertise in a manner that improves our services.