Code of Service to British Library Remote Users
The Library's Code of Service sets out our service commitments to you, and tells you what to do if you have a problem. This information is also available in large print and on audio tape from the Disability Support Officer (Tel: +44 (0)1937 546060).
Services to members of the public and organisations include:
- Document Supply
- Imaging Services
- Box Office
- Customer Services
Our aim is to give you access to the Library's collections through high-quality, customer-focused services.
In an operation as large and diverse as the Library's, we know that things will go wrong from time to time and that there will be times when our service falls below the standards we have set and fails to meet your needs. We want to hear from you because we learn from our mistakes and will always try to put matters right.
Our Code of Service states:
We also have a complaints procedure.
Commitment to service
Our service will be prompt and efficient
- We will aim to meet or better our service-specific advertised delivery targets.
- We will offer alternative ways of contacting us or of getting information.
- We will give priority to rectifying problems caused by our error.
Our service will be professional, reliable and consistent
- We will serve you in a polite and friendly manner.
- We will make sure that we are trained to give you the help and advice you need.
- We will hold your personal information in confidence and in accordance with the Data Protection Act.
- Where an enquiry falls beyond the scope of the service, we will try to refer you to a more appropriate source of information.
- We will try to keep our services open during all advertised hours and will try to give a reasonable period of notice when we make changes to services or hours of opening.
Our service will be responsive and fair to everyone
- We aim to be as responsive to your needs as our resources and copyright legislation permits.
- We will respond to the comments we receive.
- We will hold regular surveys and report back to you on the findings.
- We will consult you on specific topics.
- We will provide comments forms on our website.
- We are committed to providing the same level of service to all users.
- We will have regular training programmes for staff to increase their awareness of those issues important to our Remote Users with disabilities.
- We aim to process 99% of 2 hour and 24 hour orders to meet specified service levels and 97% of all standard service orders within 5 days.
- We aim to process express orders within 10 working days and standard orders within 25 working days.
- We aim to respond to booking queries within 24 hours of receipt.
- We aim to answer your telephone call within 20 seconds and 85% of all calls within 30 seconds.
- We aim to respond to all written general enquiries within 10 days of receipt.
- We will give priority to order queries and aim to respond within 24 hours.
- We aim to respond to payment queries within 5 days of receipt.
- We aim to process Document Supply account registrations within 48 hours.
- We will process advance Reading Room orders for up to 4 items by telephone and 6 items by fax, letter or email in advance of a visit.