58 outstanding royal manuscripts, 500 high-resolution images, expert videos, in one luxurious app.
Discover 58 of the most outstanding illuminated medieval and Renaissance manuscripts from the British Library’s exhibition, 'Royal Manuscripts: The Genius of Illumination'.
Collected by the kings and queens of England over 800 years these treasures are outstanding examples of the decorative and figurative painting of the era. Together they are our most vivid source for understanding royal identity, moral and religious beliefs, learning, faith artistic trends and the international politics of the period.
Explore them now in beautiful high-resolution detail, with 500 images, videos of British Library experts, and informative text.
What's in it?
• 58 manuscripts from the exhibition, each with interpretive
• 500 high-resolution manuscript images of some of the best surviving examples of medieval painting in England, including many pages not on display in the exhibition
• 6 expert curator videos exploring the history and details of the manuscripts
• Functionality to star your favourite items and view them together in one place
Selected manuscripts include colourful histories and genealogies, Bibles and Psalters, scientific works and accounts of coronations.
• Book of Hours made for Margaret Beauchamp (great-grandmother
of Henry VIII)
• Henry VIII’s Psalter, commissioned and annotated by the king himself
• Maps of an itinerary from London to Apulia and to the Holy Land
• Shrewsbury book, presented to Margaret of Anjou on her marriage to Henry VI in 1445
Please note, a WiFi connection is required to download the app and to view the videos.
How do I get it?
'Royal Manuscripts' is available for download world-wide
From the iTunes App Store for iPhone (and iPod Touch): UK £2.99 (US $4.99)
From the Android Marketplace: UK £2.99 (US $4.99)
'Royal Manuscripts HD'
From the iTunes App Store for iPad: UK £3.99 (US $5.99)
From the Android Marketplace: UK £3.99 (US $5.99)