Please note that as of September 2013 Royal Manuscripts will no longer be available in the Apple and Android stores, as Toura have withdrawn support. These apps will no longer be updated, and so may stop working on future iOS/Android operating systems. Some content, such as the videos streamed from Toura’s servers, will cease to function.
Discover 58 of the most outstanding illuminated medieval and Renaissance manuscripts from the British Library’s exhibition, 'Royal Manuscripts: The Genius of Illumination'.
Collected by the kings and queens of England over 800 years these treasures are outstanding examples of the decorative and figurative painting of the era. Together they are our most vivid source for understanding royal identity, moral and religious beliefs, learning, faith artistic trends and the international politics of the period.
Explore them now in beautiful high-resolution detail, with 500 images, videos of British Library experts, and informative text.
What's in it?
• 58 manuscripts from the exhibition, each with interpretive
• 500 high-resolution manuscript images of some of the best surviving examples of medieval painting in England, including many pages not on display in the exhibition
• 6 expert curator videos exploring the history and details of the manuscripts
• Functionality to star your favourite items and view them together in one place
Selected manuscripts include colourful histories and genealogies, Bibles and Psalters, scientific works and accounts of coronations.
• Book of Hours made for Margaret Beauchamp (great-grandmother
of Henry VIII)
• Henry VIII’s Psalter, commissioned and annotated by the king himself
• Maps of an itinerary from London to Apulia and to the Holy Land
• Shrewsbury book, presented to Margaret of Anjou on her marriage to Henry VI in 1445
Created by the British Library in partnership with Toura