'Treasures': our first app for the iPhone, iPad and Android smartphones
Updated with a brand new design and extra images
Please note that as of September 2013 Treasures is no longer be available in the Apple and Android stores, as toura have now withdrawn support for the British Library Treasures and Royal Manuscripts apps. We regret the inconvenience this is causing British Library users.
However, it is still possible for you to access the app content that is held on your phone or tablet. To do this you need to disable both WiFi and Cellular Data in the phone or tablet settings. The apps should then load and function as normal, though videos and some other content elements are currently unavailable. When you have finished using the Library apps you will then need to reactivate WiFi and Cellular Data in the phone or tablet settings. We hope to be able to restore the apps to full working order in due course.
This app features over 100 highlights, including literary, historical, music-related and scientific documents - alongside illuminated manuscripts and sacred texts. Each is presented through high-resolution images, allowing the viewer to zoom in and explore in detail. 'Treasures' offers smartphone users a true multimedia experience
What's in it?
- Over 100 unique or rare items: the original version of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, the world’s oldest bible, priceless hand-painted medieval books, Nelson’s battle plan for Trafalgar, sketches by Leonardo, a 1664 plan of New York, ‘The Tyger’ in William Blake’s hand, and many more...
- Arranged in easy-to-browse sections: Science, History, Music, Literature, Faith and Religions, Maps and Views, Illuminated Manuscripts
- With highlights from our current major exhibition
- Audio excerpts and nearly 50 WiFi-served videos from our expert curators
- Plus explorer Ben Fogle talking about Captain Scott’s diary
and linguist David Crystal discussing Beowulf.
Chosen by The Sunday Times App List: top 500 apps
Created by the British Library in partnership with Toura
19th Century Historical Collection App (for iPad) produced by BiblioLabs