'Treasures': our first app for the iPhone, iPad and Android smartphones
Updated with a brand new design and extra images
Please note that as of September 2013 Treasures will no longer be available in the Apple and Android stores, as Toura have withdrawn support. These apps will no longer be updated, and so may stop working on future iOS/Android operating systems. Some content, such as the videos streamed from Toura’s servers, will cease to function.
This app features over 100 highlights, including literary, historical, music-related and scientific documents - alongside illuminated manuscripts and sacred texts. Each is presented through high-resolution images, allowing the viewer to zoom in and explore in detail. 'Treasures' offers smartphone users a true multimedia experience.
Available across multiple mobile platforms: iPhone, Android and, in an HD version, the iPad
What's in it?
- Over 100 unique or rare items: the original version of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, the world’s oldest bible, priceless hand-painted medieval books, Nelson’s battle plan for Trafalgar, sketches by Leonardo, a 1664 plan of New York, ‘The Tyger’ in William Blake’s hand, and many more...
- Arranged in easy-to-browse sections: Science, History, Music, Literature, Faith and Religions, Maps and Views, Illuminated Manuscripts
- With highlights from our current major exhibition
- Audio excerpts and nearly 50 WiFi-served videos from our expert curators
- Plus explorer Ben Fogle talking about Captain Scott’s diary
and linguist David Crystal discussing Beowulf.
Chosen by The Sunday Times App List: top 500 apps
Created by the British Library in partnership with Toura
19th Century Historical Collection App (for iPad) produced by BiblioLabs