Jewellery designer in residence competition
The British Library and Artquest have just announced a new research residency for a mid-career London-based jeweller with at least five years’ practice as a jeweller (this can include study time, although the applicants can not currently be in full-time education).
This is an opportunity for an innovative and talented practitioner to take their work in a new direction by gaining behind-the-scenes access to the unique collections and curators at the British Library and support in commercialising their work.
The Library’s collections are very varied and include:
- Artists’ books
- Botanical drawings
- Chinese woodblocks and calligraphy
- Digital and historical maps
- Every magazine published in the UK
- Illuminated manuscripts
- Japanese woodcut prints
- Market research e.g. consumer data, trends, etc.
- National and local newspapers
- Olga Hirsch decorated papers
- Patents, trade marks, copyright and designs
- Russian Avant-Garde books and posters
- Sheet music and music recordings
- Social sciences information e.g. on the environment, society, etc.
- Sound recordings e.g. oral history, sound recordings, etc.
- Zines, graphic novels and comics
The successful applicant will receive:
- A bursary of £3,000 to develop (and potentially commercialise) a new body of work using material from the British Library collections.
- Access to British Library collections and curators.
- Access to business and intellectual property advice in the Library’s Business & IP Centre, which helps people to set up, run and grow their own business.
- Marketing support to help raise the profile of their work and the residency.
- Deadline for applications: 10am on Monday 9 July 2012
- Interview with short-listed candidates: Wednesday 25 July 2012
- Successful applicants announced: Week commencing 13 August 2012
- Start of the residency: 3 September 2012
- End of the residency: 18 March 2013
Semhal Zemikael and Natasha Faith are the creators of La Diosa, a luxury jewellery brand.
Business & IP Centre
The British Library
96 Euston Road
London NW1 2DB
Tel: +44 (0)20 7412 7901
Email: Reference Team