How to use the Centre
Everyone is welcome to visit the Library.
The Business & IP Centre provides the following services for entrepreneurs and innovators:
- Business and intellectual property information
- Workshops and events
- One-to-one advice
- Innovating for Growth programme
To use the information in our Reading Room, you’ll need a free Reader Pass. Our workshops and advice sessions do not require a pass, but must be booked in advance online.
How to get a Reader Pass
1. Bring along two original forms of identity:
- One showing your signature (e.g. bank or credit card, driving licence or passport)
- Another one showing your home address. This should not be older than three months (e.g. utility bill, bank statement or driving licence). Please check our full list of accepted documents before visiting the Library as we will be unable to register you if you do not have the correct documents.
2. Go to our registration office on the Upper Ground Floor, fill in an online form and get your Reader Pass.
3. Start using the Business & IP Centre Reading Room, located on the first floor of the Library.
Using the Reading Room
In the Business & IP Centre Reading Room we have one of the best collections of business and IP information in the world. Some of the information is available on the shelves, you can access the online databases via the computer terminals, and also order items via our catalogues. If you need help at any point, just ask one of our Information Experts.
Using us can be a little different from other libraries. Security is very stringent so no coats or bags can be brought in to any of our Reading Rooms. Free lockers and a cloakroom are located on the Lower Ground floor.
You can only use pencils in the Reading Room (no pens), although you can use your laptop and there is free wifi.
Attending a workshop or advice session
Visit our events calendar to view our full list of workshops and events, and book a place.
We also offer one-to-one, confidential advice sessions with experts.
Find out more and book your place
Innovating for Growth programme
Visit our Innovating for Growth pages to find out more about our business support programme for exciting and ambitious micro-businesses.
Veronica Jones set up her own event management company VJEM Events...
Business & IP Centre
The British Library
96 Euston Road
London NW1 2DB
Tel: +44 (0)20 7412 7901
Email: Reference Team