Cold storage seminar and open day
This seminar/open day was held at Vindon Scientific Ltd, Rochdale on 5 April 2011
The use of cold storage is well-established as a strategy for preserving rapidly degrading materials. This one-day seminar features presentations and discussion on aspects of cold storage with particular reference to the British Library’s experience and research into cold storage for cellulose acetate film. The seminar and open day is generously hosted by Vindon Scientific Ltd. It offers a rare opportunity to tour the facilities and learn about the wider applications of cold storage at Vindon.
Seminar report (PDF format) 301KB
Why did you attend this training day?
- To find out about the latest research on cold storage, what services Vindon provides, exchange/information about other collections approaches with cold storage.
- Currently surveying photographic materials collection and considering future storage options, cold/sub zero storage.
- Interest in low temp storage of heritage artefacts (film - acetate and nitrate.)
- To plan for large scale photograph store.
- Working on setting up a cold storage for films.
What did you learn?
- Third party managed off site cold storage is likely to be a straightforward and reliable route.
- In and out procedures from cold store.
- The issues other institutions have regarding storage of film/TV material.
- The science and theory behind the Preservation Index and industry applications.
- Good insight into other cold storage facilities.
What will you do differently as a result of attending this training day?
- Advocate a more systematic approach to collections management practices focused on acetate and nitrate.
- Need to think hard about material beyond that scheduled for cold storage at present.
- Carry out survey of film and video holdings.
- Plan a retrieval protocol.
- Use to convince sceptics of low temp storage.
- The science of cold storage: re-examining the Preservation Index
- The British Library strategy for long-term management of cellulose acetate microfilm, from inception to benefits realised
- Tour of facilities at Vindon including British Library area
- Insight into the work of Vindon Scientific Ltd including manufacture of cold storage spaces and ongoing storage management
- Other applications of cold storage for library and archive materials