Preventing pests by IPM
Preservation Advisory Centre Training Day
Thursday 10 January 2013
Rescheduled for 27 February 2013
British Library Centre for Conservation
96 Euston Road, London NW1 2DB
Led by David Pinniger, Independent Consultant Entomologist, this one-day workshop provides an introduction to preventing pests through use of integrated pest management. The course is aimed at anyone with any involvement with, or responsibility for care of libraries, archives and collections. Technical handouts will be given to support the course.
- To introduce the main insect pests which attack collections: what they need to live: how to identify them: the damage they cause; ways to prevent them becoming established
- Understanding pest environments
- Selecting the most appropriate treatments to control pests
- Making plans to establish an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) programme.
Feedback from previous participants
Why did you attend this training day?
- Help with developing strategy for dealing with a specific pest problem and to learn more in general about IPM.
- To inform discussions with pest contractors undertaking checks.
- To learn more about pests and feel confident dealing with them.
- Up date my knowledge on pest prevention.
- To help create an IPM strategy for the new library.
What did you learn?.
- Lots of practical information about what to avoid in the new building.
- Lots about methods of control - little tips about where to look for pests.
- Identifying insects, looking closely at the environment and what may harbour/encourage insects. The various processes used to eradicate them.
- Vigilance and regular inspection. Preventive measures.
- New techniques for treatment.
|09.45||Introduction to the course and objectives|
|10.00||Particular needs of participants|
|10.15||Introduction to insects and the damage they cause|
|11.30||Examination of pests and damage|
|12.15||Pests and pest environments - prevention is better than cure|
|14.00||Detection and monitoring of pests|
|14.30||To treat or not to treat - options for control|
|15.45||Pest treatments used in the British Library|
|16.15||Implementing IPM in the real world|