Preventing pests by IPM
Preservation Advisory Centre Training Day
Wednesday 27 February 2013
British Library Centre for Conservation
96 Euston Road, London NW1 2DB
Led by David Pinniger, Independent Consultant Entomologist, this one-day workshop provides an introduction to preventing pests through use of integrated pest management. The course is aimed at anyone with any involvement with, or responsibility for care of libraries, archives and collections. Technical handouts will be given to support the course.
- To introduce the main insect pests which attack collections: what they need to live: how to identify them: the damage they cause; ways to prevent them becoming established
- Understanding pest environments
- Selecting the most appropriate treatments to control pests
- Making plans to establish an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) programme.
Feedback from previous participants
Why did you attend this training day?
- Help with developing strategy for dealing with a specific pest problem and to learn more in general about IPM.
- To inform discussions with pest contractors undertaking checks.
- To learn more about pests and feel confident dealing with them.
- Up date my knowledge on pest prevention.
- To help create an IPM strategy for the new library.
What did you learn?.
- Lots of practical information about what to avoid in the new building.
- Lots about methods of control - little tips about where to look for pests.
- Identifying insects, looking closely at the environment and what may harbour/encourage insects. The various processes used to eradicate them.
- Vigilance and regular inspection. Preventive measures.
- New techniques for treatment.
|09.45||Introduction to the course and objectives|
|10.00||Particular needs of participants|
|10.15||Introduction to insects and the damage they cause|
|11.30||Examination of pests and damage|
|12.15||Pests and pest environments - prevention is better than cure|
|14.00||Detection and monitoring of pests|
|14.30||To treat or not to treat - options for control|
|15.45||Pest treatments used in the British Library|
|16.15||Implementing IPM in the real world|
Please copy the form below into an email, complete it and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternatively, print out, complete and return the form by post to the address at the bottom of this page.
I would like to book a place on the Preservation Advisory Centre training day ‘Preventing pests by IPM’ on 27 February 2013.
Training day fee (including refreshments and lunch):
£100.00 + VAT = £120.00
Address for invoice:
Do you have any special requirements? (Special diet/mobility etc):
I agree to the terms and conditions: yes / no
Terms and conditions
You will be invoiced for the full amount on receipt of the registration form. Invoices must be paid within 30 days of the date of the invoice. All payments must be made in UK pounds sterling, without deduction of bank charges. Payment can be made by cheque, credit/debit card or by bank transfer. Cancellations will not be refunded. A substitute delegate is acceptable if notified to the Preservation Advisory Centre. This registration form constitutes a legally binding contract. In the unlikely event of the training day being cancelled the organisers will make a full refund of the training day fee received but disclaim any further liability.
Please send this booking form to:
Preservation Advisory Centre
The British Library
96 Euston Road
Tel: +44 (0)20 7412 7612
Fax: +44 (0)20 7412 7796
Data Protection Act
The information you have supplied on this form will be held on a computer file for administrative purposes only, and will not be passed on to third parties. In accordance with the Data Protection Act you are entitled to see a copy of your record.