THE BRITISH LIBRARY



print Print this page
home Home
site search Search British Library website
back Back

search tips

     
 

Record Details

Click on the image for the maximum size view.

*


Cremorne Gardens, Chelsea

Copyright © The British Library Board
Previous  


PressmarkEvan.4632
Heading or VenueCremorne Gardens
PlaceLondon, Chelsea
TitleCremorne
Size20 x 29 cm.
NotesA lithograph illustration cut out of a larger notice., with a MS. note by Evanion on the reverse. - The Cremorne Gardens opened in 1831 as Cremorne Stadium for sports. In the 1840s, under the management of Renton Nicholson, it became a pleasure garden and included circus, theatres and side shows. John Baum was the manager in 1870 and from 1874 until 1877 when the Gardens closed after protests by the Chelsea Vestry (Howard, D. London Theatres and music halls 1850-1950. London, 1970)
GenreNotice
SubjectGardens, English
NamesEvanion, Henry Evans, 1832?-1905; Merritt, P.; Dukes Theatre
print Print this page
home Home
site search Search British Library website
back Back
top Back