Additional 28107, f.136
This image identified by the The British Library, is free of known copyright restrictions
For further guidance on use of public domain images please click here.

(Click on the image for an enlarged view.)

The writing, decoration and binding of this immense Bible made for the Benedictine abbey of Stavelot, near Liège, southern Netherlands, took four years to complete, and was finished in 1097. It is in two volumes, each of which weighs around 40 lbs. Two monks involved in its production, Godderan and Ernesto, are identified in an inscription, although their roles are not specified: Godderan may have been the sole scribe, and Ernesto one of the artists. Its great size and legibility of script indicates that it would have been the principal Bible of the abbey, possibly used for daily services or for display on the high altar. This image, which appears before the beginning of the New Testament, is one of the great monuments of early Romanesque art. It shows Christ in Majesty, holding a book and a Greek cross, with the globe of the earth under his feet, surrounded by the symbols of the Four Evangelists.  
Close Window