You are in Introduction. Click here to skip the navigation.
British Library
Digital Catalogue of Illuminated Manuscripts
 Detail from the Roman de la Rose
About Simple search Manuscript search Advanced search  Virtual exhibitions Glossaries Contact us  Main
print Print this page
home Home
site search Search British Library website
back Back

search tips  Search tips
 
 

 

 
 

Detailed record for Harley 4015

Title Cartulary made for Walter Lynton , master of the hospital of the Virgin Mary and Lazarus, Burton Lazars, Leicestershire
Origin England, Central (Burton Lazars, Leicestershire)
Date 1402
Language English
Script Gothic cursive
Decoration Initials in blue with red pen-flourishing, some large, some small.
Dimensions in mm 270 x 190 (195 x 135)
Official foliation ff. 214 (+ 3 unfoliated paper and 1 parchement flyleaves at the beginning + 3 unfoliated parchment and 2 paper flyleaves at the end)
Form Parchment codex
Binding Post-1600. Gold-tooled red leather with crest of Thomas Rawlinson; marbled endpapers. Many pages blank.
Provenance Walter Lynton, master of the hospital of the Virgin Mary and Lazarus, Burton Lazars, Leicestershire, from 1401 to 1421; the hospital was founded in the 12th century by Roger de Mowbray: its cartulary, made for Lynton in 1402 (f. 5) (see Davis no. 491; cf no. 90).
The hospital of St-Giles-in-the-Fields, Holborn, London, a subordinate hospital of Burton Lazars, Leicestershire (see Wright 1972).
Thomas Rawlinson (b. 1681, d. 1725), book collector: binding with his crest.
The Harley Collection, formed by Robert Harley (b. 1661, d. 1724), 1st earl of Oxford and Mortimer, politician, and Edward Harley (b. 1689, d. 1741), 2nd earl of Oxford and Mortimer, book collector and patron of the arts.
Edward Harley bequeathed the library to his widow, Henrietta Cavendish, née Holles (b. 1694, d. 1755) during her lifetime and thereafter to their daughter, Margaret Cavendish Bentinck (b. 1715, d. 1785), duchess of Portland; the manuscripts were sold by the Countess and the Duchess in 1753 to the nation for £10,000 (a fraction of their contemporary value) under the Act of Parliament that also established the British Museum; the Harley manuscripts form one of the foundation collections of the British Library: inscribed in Edward Harley's hand, 'Bought in Mr Rawlinson's sale 1734, Oxford BH' (f. 1).
Notes The cartulary is arranged in sections by parishes, which are listed on ff. 2v-3, and includes copies of royal charters from the reign of king Richard I onwards (ff. 206-211).
Post medieval pagination '1-461'.
ff. 20v, 21, 25v, 30v, 31, 39, 41, 43, 44, 44v, 46v, 48v, 50, 54v, 59v, 60, 65v, 66, 70, 73v, 82v, 83, 85v, 87v, 89v, 90, 98, 102, 103, 105v, 107v, 108v, 110v, 111v, 112v, 122, 123v, 154v are blank ruled leaves.
1 unfoliated blank ruled leaf after ff. 44, 50, 56, 63, 84, 87, 90, 91, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 112, 116, 157.
2 blank ruled leaves after ff. 99, 145.
3 blank leaves after ff. 4, 205.
Later documents added, ff. 212v-214v.
BL, Cotton Nero C. 12 is another cartulary of the hospital of Burton Lazars made for Walter Lynton in 1404.
Select bibliography A Catalogue of the Harleian Manuscripts in the British Museum, 4 vols (London: Eyre and Strahan, 1808-12), III (1808), no. 4015.

Godfrey Rupert Carless Davis, Medieval Cartularies of Great Britain: A Short Catalogue (London: Longmans Green, 1958), no. 491.

Cyril Ernest Wright, Fontes Harleiani: A Study of the Sources of the Harleian Collection of Manuscripts in the British Museum (London: British Museum, 1972), pp. 226, 283.


Images
* * *
 
Pen-flourished initials

f. 5
Pen-flourished initials

print Print this page
home Home
site search Search British Library website
back Back
top Back