The Anglo-Russian Hospital, with 200 beds, opened in Petrograd (St Petersburg was renamed Petrograd in 1914, so that its name sounded less German) on 12 February 1916. The opening ceremony was attended by the Russian Tsarina Alexandra, her elder daughters Tatiana and Olga and the British ambassador to Russia George Buchanan and his wife Georgina. An article published in The British Journal of Nursing on 9 October 1915 described the arrangements for the new hospital: nursing and medical staff and equipment were sent from Britain; the nurses were paid £4-5 a month plus expenses and provided with uniform and some other outfit; some of the staff could speak Russian. A Canadian nurse, Dorothy Cotton, worked there and gave a personal account of her experiences in her diary.
- Full title:
- The Anglo-Russian Hospital in Petrograd
- Photograph / Postcard
- Held by:
- British Library
- Usage terms:
- We have been unable to locate the copyright holder for The Anglo-Russian Hospital in Petrograd. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any information you have regarding this item.
- Article by:
- Jenny Tobias
- The war machine
Jenny Tobias explores the work of the Red Cross in World War One, from the provision of essential relief for sick or wounded soldiers and civilians, to the establishment of the International Prisoners of War Agency.