Canteen in a Danish prisoner of war camp

Description

This picture features prisoners of war in the dining quarters at Hald near Viborg, Jutland. In comparison with prison conditions in other countries, the Danish camps were remarkably well equipped. The camp hospitals had medical and surgical wards and, given the fact that food provisions were relatively better in Denmark than in the rest of war-torn Europe, the prisoners here were better fed.

In its effort to remain neutral during World War One, Denmark committed itself to humanitarian work. As a result of a Danish initiative, an agreement was reached between Germany and Austria-Hungary on one side and Russia on the other to exchange sick and injured prisoners of war. While Russian prisoners were interned in the camp at Horserød north of Copenhagen, German and Austro-Hungarian prisoners were interned in a camp near the village of Hald.

Full title:
Canteen in Danish internment camp
Published:
1917 - 1918
Format:
Photograph
Held by:
Det Konglige Bibliotek