Prisoner of war excursion to Frederiksborg Castle

Description

This picture was taken during an excursion from a prisoner of war camp at Horserød, to the castle of Frederiksborg Slot and the museum in Hillerød. It was attended by interpreter Ingeborg Stemann and camp lieutenant Jørgen Brandstrup, who later described the trip in his memoirs: ‘Lunch, hosted by the camp, was held at Hotel “Leidersdorff” in Hillerød. We allowed the Russians to move around freely and granted them free choice of drinks. The waiter, though, was instructed in advance not to allow more than one beer and one glass of snaps for each person. The trip was an overall success for everybody and we were back in camp by six o’clock in the evening.’

In an effort to remain neutral during the war, Denmark undertook much humanitarian work. Under the leadership of the Red Cross a number of prison camps were established where sick and injured prisoners of war from Germany, Austria-Hungary and Russia could be interned for treatment. German and Austro-Hungarian prisoners were sent to a camp at Hald near Viborg, Jutland, while Russian prisoners were interned in a camp at Horserød north of Copenhagen. Conditions in the Danish camps were relatively good.

Full title:
Excursion to Frederiksborg Castle
Published:
1918
Format:
Photograph / Manuscript
Held by:
Det Konglige Bibliotek
Usage terms:
Some rights reserved