In its efforts to remain neutral during World War One, Denmark occupied itself with humanitarian work. The Danish government made an agreement with Germany and Austria-Hungary on one side and Russia on the other to receive wounded prisoners of war. While Russian prisoners were sent to a camp by Horserød, north of Copenhagen, the German and Austro-Hungarians were interned by the village of Hald near Viborg, Jutland.
This picture shows Russian officers relaxing in the reading room in their camp. It’s telling of the stark contrast between conditions during their internment in Germany and those in Denmark.
At the signing of the peace treaty in 1918 between Russia and the Central Powers most of the Russian officers were sent back home to an uncertain future, where the Bolsheviks had taken power.