This illustration from the Graphic newspaper depicts shipbuilding labourers at the east London docks queuing for scarce employment in February 1886. Every morning crowds of men congregated at the gates hoping for a day’s work, at 3pence an hour.
- Full title:
- 'The Distress in the East End of London'
- 20 February 1886, London
- Newspaper / Ephemera / Illustration / Image
- The Graphic
- Held by:
- British Library
- © Sourced from the British Newspaper Archive
- 19th Century British Library Newspapers BA3201440636
- Article by:
- Mary L Shannon
- London, Poverty and the working classes
London Labour and the London Poor is a key work in the development of investigative journalism. Dr Mary L Shannon describes how Henry Mayhew conducted numerous interviews with street-sellers, sweepers and sewer-hunters, in order to share their stories with the reading public.