This representation of King John’s tomb was drawn by the artist John Harris (1791-1873). The image is found at the end of a copy of Magna Carta, printed in gold on vellum by John Whittaker (d. 1831) in 1816. Harris added a handwritten note at the end of this volume, asserting that he had designed this image of the tomb, as well as many of the barons’ coats of arms which feature at the head of each page of Magna Carta; the remaining coats of arms can be attributed to his father, the watercolourist John Harris the Elder (1767-1832). Here the monument is shown before the altar and the east window, with John’s head nearest to the viewer. This represents the state of the tomb before restoration work was carried out in 1872–73, when a crown made of tin was added to John’s head and the effigy was gilded, although both the crown and gilding were later removed.