The first successful
series of fiction reprints in paper boards was the Parlour Library,
founded in 1847 by the Belfast firm of Simms and McIntyre, and continued
by Thomas Hodgson and a succession of London publishers into the
1860s. Advertised as books 'for all', these shilling volumes, with
distinctive green covers designed by H. Warren, stimulated an unprecedented
demand for cheap, attractively packaged new and popular novels.