Julian Marshall and the British Museum: music collecting in the later nineteenth century
IN the second volume of Sir George Grove's Dictionary of Music and Musicians which appeared in 1880, there is a descriptive list of private music libraries in the British Isles. First, understandably enough, is the Royal Music Library at Buckingham Palace; the next two libraries listed are those of Sir Arthur Frederick Gore Ouseley and of Mr Julian Marshall. The entire Royal Music Library is now in the British Library by royal gift; the whole of Ouseley's collection passed to his foundation of St Michael's College, Tenbury. These two libraries have been catalogued in some detail and both the process of their assembly and the personalities involved have been explored. Only two substantial parts of Marshall's collection remain intact: his printed Handel scores and libretti, now in the National Library of Scotland, and the major part of his manuscript music in the British Library. Marshall's name remains almost unknown, and to many musicologists his bookplate, which is still easy enough to encounter, complicates rather than simplifies the problem of provenance.