The Douglas W. Bryant annual lectures
The Eccles Centre has hosted an annual lecture since 1993. In 1995, this lecture was named in honour of Douglas W. Bryant who served as Trustee and Executive Director of the American Trust for the British Library between 1979 and 1990 and as its President between 1990 and 1994.
18th Annual Douglas W. Bryant Lecture
From Acadie to Arab Spring: Reflections on America's Place in the World
by Lyse Doucet
When Monday 13 May 2013, 19.00-20.00
Where Conference Centre, British Library
Listen to podcast (MP3).
|Lyse Doucet © Ander McIntyre|
Born in the Acadian heartland of eastern Canada, BBC Presenter and Chief International Correspondent Lyse Doucet has been reporting from around the world for the past thirty years. Her BBC work includes postings in Abidjan, Kabul, Islamabad, Tehran, Amman, and Jerusalem. In recent years her travel has often taken her to the Middle East, including Syria, as well as to Afghanistan and Pakistan. Lyse was educated at Queen's University (Kingston, Ontario) and the University of Toronto. Her work has won a series of journalism awards and she holds honorary doctorates from universities in both Canada and the UK.
|Philip Davies, (Director of the Eccles Centre), Catherine Eccles, British Library CEO Roly Keating, Viscount Eccles, Lyse Doucet, Vicountess Eccles © Ander McIntyre|
- 2012 Rorschach President: How Barack Obama personifies the anxieties and aspirations of America by Gary Younge
- 2011 Why Men Hate to Talk about Relationships: the US, the UK, and the Atlantic Alliance by Philip Bobbitt
- 2010 Anti-Americanism in the 21st Century by Simon Jenkins
- 2009 Marathon: Looking Back at the Historic US Election of 2008 by Larry J. Sabato
- 2008 Constitutions: Does America's Work? Does Europe Need One? And What About Us? by Lord Kerr of Kinlochard
- 2007 The New Security: A Post-Cold War Understanding of Security in the 21st Century by Gary Hart.
- 2006 How Digital Life Innovations Can Shape The Future Of Libraries by John Sculley.
- 2005 The Atlantic - A Bridge or a Chasm? (PDF format) 252KB by the Rt. Hon. Sir Malcolm Rifkind MP KCMG QC.
- 2004 The pursuit of power: leadership selection in the United States (PDF format) 150KB by David S. Broder
- 2003 The U.S. – The Role of World Leader: “A Decent Respect to the Opinions of Mankind…” (PDF format) 155KB, by Baroness Williams of Crosby
- 2002 A New Security for an Old America, by the Hon. Raymond G.H. Seitz
- 2001 A World Without a Father, by Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O'Connor
- 2000 The Immortality of the Book (PDF format) 92KB, by Sir Anthony Kenny
- 1999 The U.S. Presidency in the Twenty-First Century (PDF format) 110KB, by Steve Forbes
- 1998 Can the Special Relationship Survive into the 21st Century (PDF format) 47KB, by Lord Renwick of Clifton
- 1996 The Approaching Millennium: Challenges and Opportunities (PDF format) 54KB, by Harriet Fulbright
- 1995 Europe and America: Britain's Opportunity (PDF format) 59KB, by Lord Howe of Aberavon
- 1994 Equality and Autonomy: The Polarization of Constitutional Law (PDF format) 119KB, by Kenneth W. Starr
- 1993 British Travellers Report on the White Conquest of the Trans-Mississippi West, 1865-1905 (PDF format) 189KB, by Professor R.A. Burchell