To help you with your research the Library subscribes to circa 800 index, abstract, bibliographic, biographic and full text databases, covering a range of subjects. Also included in these lists are freely some available websites, selected by Library staff. (Note we also collect and subscribe to thousands of electronic journals.)
But, owing to licensing reasons, the majority of our Library subscribed databases are only available to registered Readers using British Library workstations within the Library's Reading Rooms, Business & IP Centre and Newsroom.
To enable you to use the databases, and other electronic resources, effectively the Library offers a range of workshops.
- Databases in the London Reading Rooms
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
- Databases in the Boston Spa Reading Room
Availability by subject/format
- Arts and Humanities: by subject
- Asian and African Studies:
- Business & Intellectual Property
- Manuscripts: alphabetical by title
- Maps: alphabetical by title; by subject
- Science: by subject; alphabetical by title
- Social Science and Official Publications: by subject
The Library subscribes to circa 45,000 electronic journals and also receives copies under legal deposit. You can search for online journals (and newspapers), by title, in Explore the British Library. Alternatively, many eJournal collections and databases allow you to browse titles or cross search titles for articles.