With Explore Archives and Manuscripts you can search for information about our rich and unique archive and manuscript collections.
- Published date:
Explore Archives and Manuscripts contains records for the majority of our manuscript and paper-based archives, photographs and an increasing number of digital archives.
Our sound archive collections and moving image collections are not included.
Records for these collections areas are found in Explore Archives and Manuscripts:
- India Office Records and Private Papers
- India Office Select Materials/Prints and Drawings
- Western Manuscripts: historical, literary, political, scientific and religious manuscripts and archives from the 3rd century BCE to the present day.
- Music Manuscripts and Archives
- Asian and African Manuscripts (Oriental Manuscripts) - around 2,500 records bearing Additional numbers [Add MS] or Or numbers are included. Asian and African manuscripts are only partially represented. Readers are advised to consult the printed catalogues in the Asian and African Studies Reading Room.
- Endangered Archives Programme
For more information, please ask at the Manuscripts Reference Enquiry Desk or contact the Reference Team.
With Explore Archives and Manuscripts you can:
- search for detailed catalogue information about the Library’s archives and manuscripts, and navigate to see descriptions of the collections and series of which they are part
- search for and see descriptions of people and places and then navigate to related archive and manuscript descriptions
- use Refine options to filter your Results
- tag, or make notes about, items that interest you
- create Alerts to provide you with updated results from your search queries
- enable RSS feeds to run search queries and notify you of new items found.
See the Guide to Explore Archives and Manuscripts for more details.
We will continue to add catalogue information from our other online and print archive and manuscript catalogues. In the meantime you should consult our other archives and manuscripts catalogues and our archives and manuscripts digital collections alongside Explore Archives and Manuscripts.
We have still to develop a seamless requesting system to allow Readers to order items directly from the catalogue to reading rooms. Readers can request many items via the ‘Request Items’ link in the menu bar. You should make a careful check of record details for access and user conditions before requesting or visiting the Library.