Folded items can vary from inserts in books to large maps. They may consist of simple or complex folds. Watch our video to see the tools and techniques you should use when handling folded items.
When handling folded items, make sure you:
- pay attention to their format and condition
- have weights and foam pads to hand
- have enough space to unfold the item.
Foldouts can be bigger than they first appear and weights should not be placed on folds or damaged areas. A foam wedge from one side can support foldouts in books. Multi directional foldouts may require snake weights.
A charter with a seal needs a foam pad beneath the seal.
Watch the video
Our video guide shows the best ways to handle a:
- simple fold out in a book
- multi direction fold out in a book
- map in a slip case
- charter and seal
- concertina binding.