The Chartist Circular, priced at half a pence, was an unstamped paper and thus could not publish any news, but rather focused on the Charter itself. The paper was first published in Glasgow on 28 September 1839 and was an immediate success. Its first issue achieved a circulation of over 20,000, and the paper maintained a circulation of 22,500 copies a week through its first year. However, by 1841 The Chartist Circular was struggling financially and sales started to decline. It eventually ceased publication in July 1842, having at the close achieved a circulation of only 7,000 a week.