James Lancaster's fleet of 1601 was made up of four ships:
The Ascension (formerly in the Levant trade between England and Turkey)
Rating: 260 tons
The Hector (formerly a Levant trader)
Rating: 800 tons
The Susan(formerly a Levant trader)
Bought from Alderman Paul Banning for 1,600 pounds.
Rating: 240 tons
The Red Dragon (flagship).
Built in 1595 as a privateer (trading on behalf of a rich individual) or merchantman for George Clifford, third Earl of Cumberland. Bought for 3,700 pounds. Former name: Scourge of Malice.
Rating: 600 - 900 tons
Crew: approximately 200