This project uses documents and pictures from the period 1500-1750 to explore some of the key changes in Britain in this exciting period of history.
The period 1500 to 1750 was one of great change in Britain. The end of the Middle Ages and the dawn of what historians call 'the early modern period' saw the emergence of many of the features of the United Kingdom that we know today.
Use the links to explore the following themes:
- Elizabeth I and the Spanish Armada - Why did the English fleet defeat the Spanish Armada?
- Crown and Church - How did reforms in religious practice in the mid 16th century affect people?
- Oliver Cromwell - Images of Political Power
- Ireland - Propaganda and Plantations
- English Civil War news stories - How did news get around during the Civil War?
- The Great Plague of London - what was it like to experience the plague of 1665?
- James II and William of Orange -Was the seizure of the English throne by William of Orange an invasion or a revolution?