Information on booking procedure, terms and conditions and cancellation fees
This page provides information for school and college groups and sets out our policies on bookings and cancellations.
Booking for family events
Booking for teacher events
A full list of our workshops, lectures and special events can be found on our Visits and Workshops page.
All workshops for schools and colleges are free of charge but must be booked in advance. Please read our policy on fees for cancellations and reduced group size before completing the booking form. Details of these can be found below. If you are booking more than one workshop, please make sure that you complete one booking form per workshop session.
We are currently receiving a high volume of inquiries. We'll aim to get back to you as soon as we can and, in the meantime, we thank you for your patience. We currently have limited availabilities until the end of June 2017, where 1pm slots may still be offered.
- Bookings for core workshops in 2017-2018 Academic Year will open in June.
- We recommend you book your workshop 2 months in advance, please note we can't accept bookings for sessions more than 6 months ahead.
- Allow ample time for your visit, arriving 15 minutes before your workshop start time. Note workshop durations are as advertised; it is not possible for sessions to be shortened, or extended.
- Our workshops are booked on request, pending availabilities of our workshop leaders.
- We have a 1:6 adult to student ratio for participants aged 11 and under, and a 1:10 adult to student ratio for participants aged 12 – 18. If you are bringing more than 20 students, please ensure you have at least two members of teaching staff with your group
- Self-guided visits must be booked in advance and are subject to capacity
- Please ensure you enter details regarding participants with special educational needs or disabilities on the booking form. For further details about access to the British Library, please view our page on access for disabled visitors.
- We have neck loops and radio receivers suitable for participants with a hearing impairment. To use one of these during your visit, please request it on the booking form
- The Lunch Room is subject to availability and may be offered for up to 30 students, for 30 minute duration; this must be requested in advance via the booking form. If you are allocated a Lunch Room slot, please ensure that you adhere to the timings from your booking confirmation as we usually have several groups booked in one after the other. Alternatively, your group may picnic outside on the Piazza.
- If your group is allocated a locker, please ensure that you collect your belongings promptly at the end of your session as another group may have been allocated the space after you.
- Health and safety information along with details about writing a risk assessment for a visit to the British Library can be found in our Risk Control Measures PDF.
- Please contact the Learning Team on T +44 (0)20 7412 7797 or E email@example.com if you have any questions
- The British Library’s address is 96 Euston Road, London NW1 2DB. For further details, see our information on finding the British Library. If you’re a school in Greater London, you can qualify for free off-peak school group travel with Transport for London
- To find out more about reader registration for under-18s, please visit our Help page.
Fee for cancellations and reduced group sizeFee for cancellations and reduced group size for confirmed bookings is as follows:
£90 + VAT per workshop
Full day workshops and study days, including Digital Research, Introducing Research, Research Matters and Map Your World study days, will be charged at £180 + VAT
The fee will apply if:
- A session is cancelled with fewer than 20 working days’ notice provided. Notice period does NOT include day of cancellation or day of workshop
- The group fails to arrive on the booked date
- Fewer than 10 students are present on the day of the visit. Our minimum group size is 10
- You have booked in more than 20 students but 20 or fewer attend. This is because we allocate one workshop leader per 20 students
- A group arrives more than 30 minutes late
- If a confirmed workshop booking is requested to be moved to a different date, this is deemed to be a cancelled workshop
The British Library reserves the right to cancel sessions if:
- A group arrives more than 30 minutes late
- Behaviour of a group is deemed unacceptable by British Library Learning staff
Once you’re ready to book, please complete a booking form. We will acknowledge receipt and aim to contact you within two weeks to either confirm your booking or ask for alternative dates.