The East India Company's sale catalogue for March 1704. By the early 18th century the Company was trading regularly with the Chinese, buying mainly tea, silk textiles and inexpensive porcelain.
This page lists a range of the Company's newly acquired porcelain (or 'china ware'), including blue and white 'custard cups', painted chocolate cups 'with handles crack'd', and large painted porcelain lions on stands.
East India Office Trading Documents
This is part of a collection of documents from the British Library's India Office, all of which relate to British trade with Asia from the late 1600s to the 1800s. The East India Company's first ships arrived in Bengal in 1608. By the end of the 17th century the company had factories, forts and settlements in Calcutta, Bombay and Madras. It was importing cotton, silk and indigo, and making inroads into the Dutch domination of the spice trade.
Early in the 18th century, Company ships began to sail onward to Canton and the trade in tea ('cha') and porcelain ('China ware') began. From this time on the East India Company became more of a ruling power than a trading company in India, with the increasing involvement of the British government. A period of progressive domination and annexation followed so that, by 1858, when the East India Company was dissolved and the administration of India was taken over by the Crown, Britain controlled India, Burma, Singapore and Hong Kong.