The poem is dedicated to William, second Earl of Derbyshire. From 1608, Hobbes, at the age of 20, was appointed tutor to William, only two years his junior. The Dukes of Devonshire owned Chatsworth House which features largely in the poem as one of the Wonders of the Peak.
About De Mirabilibus Pecci
This poem, entitled 'De Mirabilibus Pecci', was writen by the Enlightenment philosopher Thomas Hobbes. Hobbes toured the Peak District in 1626, and the poem describes the wonders of his experiences.
The poem was first published in 1636. This version includes the original Latin and an English translation by 'a Person of Quality'. It appeared in 1678.
The 'Wonders' include Chatsworth House, Peak Cavern (popularly known as the Devil's Arse), St Anne's Well, Buxton, Eldon Hole and Tideswell.