We are YBL: The British Library’s Youth Forum, a group of 16-21 year olds from across the country who meet once a month to discuss the place of young people in the Library. Our aim is to get more young people aware of the resources available in the Library, and encourage them to become active members of the Library’s community. We also wish to raise awareness of the inspiring work and the potential of young people and how the British Library can harness that talent. In order to promote awareness of young people in the Library, we worked with Chocolate Films to make this promotional video.
- In November 2013 we undertook an extensive survey to help us understand how young people would like us to improve the British Library for them.
- A Space to Study: a study day for young people held on 14 December 2013, which included an optional two hour Digital Research workshop to develop online research and critical thinking.
- Further study days: a quiet space to study and revise, held in the Learning Centre in April and May 2014. Over 150 people came to use the space to study and revise in peace and quiet.
- Comics Unmasked exhibition - we ran a very successful mask-making stall at the late event in May 2014. Participants were encourages to post selfies in their masks to Twitter and we chose a winner, who received a bundle of exhibition merchandise.
- Terror and Wonder exhibition - we assisted with different aspects of the late event, from makeup to music.
- 2015 sessions are on the third Thursday of the month (no session in August) 16 October, 6-8pm in our Learning Centre. For more information contact Abi Barber (details below).
- Magna Carta exhibition - we will be helping out with the late event that accompanies the exhibition as well as taking part in a project around the UN Declaration of Human Rights.
- Study days will run on selected dates in the Easter holidays and May half term. Watch this space for details.
Contact and feedback
Please feel free to contact us if you would like to join YBL, for further information or for ideas or suggestions. We are always looking to find new members.
Contact Abi Barber from the Learning team on firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 7412 7336
Follow us on Twitter @BL_YouthForum