We are YBL: The British Library’s Youth Forum, a group of 15-18 year olds from across the country who meet once a month to discuss the place of young people in the Library. Our aim is to get more young people aware of the resources available in the Library, and encourage them to become active members of the Library’s community. We also wish to raise awareness of the inspiring work and the potential of young people and how the British Library can harness that talent. In order to promote awareness of young people in the Library, we worked with Chocolate Films to make this promotional video.
- Next year we'll focus on two major projects, one of which is Unlocking the UK's Sound Heritage. Sessions will start again in the autumn and we'll be recruiting for new members - if you're interested, please email Abi Barber from the Learning Team on email@example.com
- In June 2015 we took part in Monica Ross: An Act of Memory, a collective recitation of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Prior to the recitation we'd had a workshop with Monica's daughter, Alice Ross
- Spring 2015 saw us meeting British Library curators, artist Rob Sherman and students from Central St Martins, to find out more about their roles
- We contributed to Cornelia Parker's artwork, Magna Carta (An Embroidery) by sewing some individual words to go into the final piece
- In February 2015 we participated in a creative writing workshop, where we got to explore the Library and to come up with our own collaborative poem
- Terror and Wonder exhibition - we assisted with different aspects of the late event, from makeup to music
- Comics Unmasked exhibition - we ran a very successful mask-making stall at the late event in May 2014. Participants were encouraged to post selfies in their masks to Twitter and we chose a winner, who received a bundle of exhibition merchandise
- Further study days: a quiet space to study and revise, held in the Learning Centre in April and May 2014. Over 150 people came to use the space to study and revise in peace and quiet
- A Space to Study: a study day for young people held on 14 December 2013, which included an optional two hour Digital Research workshop to develop online research and critical thinking
- In November 2013 we undertook an extensive survey to help us understand how young people would like us to improve the British Library for them
Contact and feedback
Please feel free to contact us if you would like to join YBL, for further information, or for ideas or suggestions. We are always looking to find new members.
Contact Abi Barber from the Learning Team on firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 7412 7336