Boston Spa Reading Room refurbishment
Our new-look Reading Room at Boston Spa is now open, providing access to the British Library’s ‘document supply’ research collection, over 200 electronic resources plus our collection of recorded sound and video.
The fully refurbished facilities include:
- 75 Reader seats – three-quarters of which now have power for use with laptops and other devices
- In addition, ten desks with PCs to enable checking of our catalogue and other electronic resources.
- Two meeting rooms (one fitted with audio visual equipment) providing space for group study and collaborative working
- Access to the British Library’s collection of recorded sound and video via the SoundServer database
- Two of the original large wooden desks from our former Newspaper Library at Colindale, North London
- CCTV system to improve security for Readers, Library staff and collection items.
We refurbished our reception area at the same with new furniture, an information screen plus updated food and drinks vending machines.
We have made these improvements to enable access to the Library’s newspaper collection later in the year following its move from Colindale. Where no microfilm or digital copy exists, print newspapers will be available to order in the autumn.
We will be introducing changes to our reader registration procedures at Boston Spa later in the year and will keep Readers informed.
Thank you to Readers who’ve used our temporary facilities over the last few weeks; we appreciate your patience and understanding during the building work.
6 May 2014