Agra Fort from the river; country boats in the foreground
Watercolour of the View of Agra Fort from the river, by an anonymous artist working in the Agra style, c. 1820.
The Agra fort was begun during the reign of the Mughal Emperor Akbar (ruled 1556-1605) with later additions under his successors Jahangir and Shah Jahan. The Agra fort is semi-circular, with its base along the west bank of the river. The Akbari section was built over a period of 14 years (1565-79) and is a sound military structure with architectural merit. Its massive walls and ramparts are faced with red sandstone, with huge circular bastions projecting from the exterior walls. The fort includes halls of audience, residential areas, a segregated 'zenana' area for women and a place of prayer. Various courtyards and gardens were added later by Shah Jahan. This drawing shows boats in the foreground.