Watercolour of the Red Fort in Agra from the river Jumna with country boats in the foreground. The Agra fort was begun during the reign of the Mughal Emperor Akbar (ruled 1556-1605) with later additions under his successors Jahangir and Shah Jahan. Akbar built many fine structures in Agra making it a city much praised by contemporary chroniclers and foreign travellers. The Agra fort is semi-circular, with its base along the west bank of the river. The Akbari section was built over a period of 14 years (1565-79) and is a sound military structure with architectural merit. Its massive walls and ramparts are faced with red sandstone, with huge circular bastions projecting from the exterior walls. The fort includes halls of audience, residential areas, a segregated 'zenana' or harem for women, a place of prayer and various courtyards and gardens added later by Shah Jahan.