A frontal view of the house of Mr. Pattle at Champapoka, near Murshidabad
Watercolour of a view of the house of Mr. Pattle at Champapoka, near Murshidabad by an anonymous artist working in the Murshidabad style, c. 1790-1800. Inscribed on the back in ink: 'South Front of Mr. Pattle's House Champapoka Moorshed'.
Murshidabad is situated on the banks of the Bhagirathi River, north of Calcutta in West Bengal. In 1704, the Nawab of Bengal transferred his capital here from Dacca; in 1757 a series of military disputes between the Nawab and the English East India Company resulted in the rise of English supremacy in Bengal. Although the town of Murshidabad continued to house the residence of the Nawab, it was no longer a place of political power. Thomas Pattle was the Senior Judge of the Court of Appeal in Murshidabad from 1799 and he acted as the Company's Resident at the court.