A tented bazzar in full operation in the park at Constantia
Artist: Sita Ram (fl. c.1810-1822)
Watercolour of a bazaar at Constantia in Lucknow from 'Views by Seeta Ram from Cawnpore to Mohumdy Vol. IV' produced for Lord Moira, afterwards the Marquess of Hastings, by Sita Ram between 1814-15. Marquess of Hastings, the Governor-General of Bengal and the Commander-in-Chief (r. 1813-23), was accompanied by artist Sita Ram (flourished c.1810-22) to illustrate his journey from Calcutta to Delhi between 1814-15.
La Martiniere (Constantia) was built by Frenchman Claude Martin (1735-1800) in 1795, though he died before its completion in 1802, as a country house. The grounds surrounding the house include a lake with a monument to Claude Martin. After Martin's death, the house was used by visiting officials including Lord Moira, in 1814. A tented bazaar in full operation. Inscribed below: 'Camp Bazaar at Constantia.'