A closer view of the Judge's house at Moradabad
Artist: Sita Ram (fl. c.1810-1822)
Watercolour of the Judge's House in Moradabad from 'Views by Seeta Ram from Mohumdy to Gheen Vol. V' produced for Lord Moira, afterwards the Marquess of Hastings, by Sita Ram between 1814-15. Marquess of Hastings, the Governor-General of Bengal and the Commander-in-Chief (r. 1813-23), was accompanied by artist Sita Ram (flourished c.1810-22) to illustrate his journey from Calcutta to Delhi between 1814-15.
Moradabad, in Uttar Pradesh, was founded around 1625 by Rustam Khan, the governor of Katehr, who named it after the imperial prince Murad Bakhsh. The Afghan Rohillas acquired Moradabad in 1740 and controlled the city until 1773 when it passed to control of the Nawab of Awadh. Nawab Shuja ud-Daula of Awadh (r.1753-1775) subsequently ceeded part of his territory including Moradabad to the Britsh in 1801.
In 1814, the Judge and Magistrate in Moradabad was James Oldham, who would have lived in the house illustrated here. View of the Judge's House at Moradabad, with three storeys raised on a extended basement. Inscribed below: 'Fortified House at Moradabad'