A Muslim graveyard with adjacent mosque
Artist: Sita Ram (fl. c.1810-1822)
Watercolour of a graveyard in Bahadurgarh from 'Views by Seeta Ram from Delhi to Tughlikabad Vol. VII' produced for Lord Moira, afterwards the Marquess of Hastings, by Sita Ram between 1814-15. Marquess of Hastings, the Governor-General of Bengal and the Commander-in-Chief (r. 1813-23), was accompanied by artist Sita Ram (flourished c.1810-22) to illustrate his journey from Calcutta to Delhi between 1814-15.
Idealised view of a Muslim graveyard with adjacent mosque. Bahadurgarh, located 18 miles west of Delhi, was originally named Sharafabad though in 1754 it was renamed after Bahadur Khan, a Baloch chief of Farrukhnagar. In 1803, Bahadurgarh and its surrounding territory was passed to Ismail Khan, a brother of the Nawab of Jhajjar. Inscribed below: 'Bahadurghur.'