A temple to Siva [Shiva] 5250
Pencil, pen and ink wash and watercolour drawing of a Shiva temple at Lalitpur (Patan) in Nepal, by an anonymous artist working in the Nepalese school, c. 1843-1846. The image is inscribed in pencil on the front: 'No. 18. Temple of Narain in Patan'; and below: 'Natuloho-Dewo.'
Lalitpur, the 'City of Beauty' was founded in the 2nd century by the Kirats and it remained a valley kingdom until the late 15th century when it became a sovereign state, together with Kathmandu and Bhaktapur. All three were built around Durbar Squares containing Palace and Temple complexes. This drawing is part of the Sir Henry Montgomery Lawrence Collection (1806-1857), who held the post of the Resident of Nepal from 1843 to 1846.