Bridge four miles south of Delhi on the Mathura road
Watercolour of a bridge four miles south of Delhi on the Mathura road, by an anonymous artist working in the Delhi style, part of the Hyde Collection, c. 1820-1826. Inscribed on the front in Persian characters:. in nagari characters: 'Dilhi pul;' in English in pencil: 'Bridge two coss South of Delhi on the Muttra road;' ditto on the back in ink.
The East India Company was founded in 1600 and in the 17th and 18th centuries it became one of the most powerful trading companies in the world. Its influence on Indian culture was far-reaching. Company painting first emerged in Murshidabad in the second half of the 18th century. It is a style of miniature painting that developed in response to the tastes and influences of the British serving with the East India Company. The style subsequently spread to other British centres, the most notable being Patna, Benares (Varanasi), Delhi and Lucknow. This drawing shows two villagers crossing the river and two villagers walking on the sand, painted in the Delhi style.