Chandi Chauk and Munny Begum's mosque, Murshidabad
Watercolour of Chandi Chauk and Munny Begum's mosque, Murshidabad in West Bengal, by an anonymous artist working in the Murshidabad style, c. 1790-1800. Inscribed on the back in ink (twice, once over pencil): 'Chawnie Choke in the City of Moorshedabad & View of the Nabob's Mosque.'
Murshidabad is situated on the banks of the Bhagirathi River, north of Calcutta in West Bengal. In 1704, the Nawab of Bengal transferred his capital here from Dacca; in 1757 a series of military disputes between the Nawab and the English East India Company resulted in the rise of English supremacy in Bengal. Although the town of Murshidabad continued to house the residence of the Nawab, it was no longer a place of political power. The Chawk Mosque was built in 1767 by Munni Begum, and is also known as the Begum's mosque. Construction of the mosque was under the supervision of Shaikh Khalilullah. It is one of the largest mosques of the district, situated in the centre of the town, south-east of the Hazarduari Palace.