General Claude Martin's house Constantia set in its park at Lucknow
Artist: Sita Ram (fl. c.1810-1822)
Watercolour of Constantia in Lucknow from 'Views by Seeta Ram from Cawnpore to Mohumdy Vol. IV' produced for Lord Moira, afterwards the Marquess of Hastings, by Sita Ram between 1814-15. Marquess of Hastings, the Governor-General of Bengal and the Commander-in-Chief (r. 1813-23), was accompanied by artist Sita Ram (flourished c.1810-22) to illustrate his journey from Calcutta to Delhi between 1814-15.
La Martiniere (Constantia) was built by Frenchman Claude Martin (1735-1800) in 1795, though he died before its completion in 1802. This example of European architecture later influenced the developement of hybrid Indo-European architecture in Lucknow in the 19th century. Initially designed as a country house, it is used as a school for boys. View of Claude Martin's house set in its park at Lucknow, with its column in the lake still in scaffolding. Inscribed below: 'House of Constantia and Tank with general Martin's monument in an unfinished State.'