Illuminations and fireworks round the lake at Constantia
Artist: Sita Ram (fl. c.1810-1822)
Watercolour of illuminations at Constantia in Lucknow from 'Views by Seeta Ram from Cawnpore to Mohumdy Vol. IV' produced for Lord Moira, afterwards the Marquess of Hastings, by Sita Ram between 1814-15. Marquess of Hastings, the Governor-General of Bengal and the Commander-in-Chief (r. 1813-23), was accompanied by artist Sita Ram (flourished c.1810-22) to illustrate his journey from Calcutta to Delhi between 1814-15.
La Martiniere (Constantia) was built by Frenchman Claude Martin (1735-1800) in 1795, though he died before its completion in 1802. This example of European architecture later influenced the developement of hybrid Indo-European architecture in Lucknow in the 19th century. Initially designed as a country house, it is used as a school for boys. Constantia's grounds consisted of a lake with a column, a memorial to Claude Martin, which was still under construction as pictured here. View of illuminations and fireworks round the lake at Constantia, seen from one of the terraces of the house, on November 2nd, 1814. Inscribed below: 'Illumination at Constantia on the receiving news of Peace in Europe.'