Jami Masjid (Badshahi Mosque), Lahore 1407
Watercolour drawing of the Jami Masjid (Badshahi Mosque) at Lahore, Pakistan, by an anonymous artist working in the Punjab style, c. 1860. The drawing is inscribed: 'Juma masjid Lahore.'
The Badshahi Mosque, one of the last great Mughal monuments, was built in 1673-74 by the Emperor Aurangzeb (ruled 1658-1707). Constructed of red sandstone and decorated with white marble, it was modelled on the Jami Masjid of Delhi, and departs from the local Punjabi tradition of tile-facing. Set on a high plinth within a walled enclosure adjacent to the western wall of the Lahore Fort, the mosque has three domes and an arcaded facade with octagonal minarets at the corners, and is considered the largest in area on the subcontinent. Its interior is richly decorated with painted stucco.