La Martiniere(??), the house of Colonel Martin, at Lucknow
Medium: Watercolour with pen and ink
Watercolour with pen and ink of La Martinière in Lucknow, part of the Archer collection, by an anonymous artist working in the Delhi style, c. 1830. Inscribed on the back: 'India'.
La Martinière was built by Frenchman Claude Martin (1735-1800) in 1795, though he died before its completion in 1802. This example of European architecture later influenced the development of the hybrid Indo-European architecture in Lucknow of the 19th century. Initially designed as a country house, it was converted into a school for boys. At the start of the Uprising of 1857 La Martinière was occupied by the insurgents but evacuated in November 1857 with the news of Sir Colin Campbell's march towards it. During the second attack in 1858 La Martinière was deserted thus being one of the few monuments in Lucknow to escape damage. The students of the school helped in the defence of the Residency along with the British troops. After the Uprising the masters and boys of the school were provided with the mutiny medal for their services.