Religious edifice on raft during a festival, probably at Trichinopoly.
Goauche painting of a religious edifice on a raft, probably at Trichinopoly, by an anonymous artist working in the Trichinopoly style, c. 1850. Inscribed: 'A Tank connected with a Temple, on which are Two Floats carrying a mimmic Temple & Choultry.'
Tiruchchirappalli, in Tamil Nadu, was an important Hindu centre since before the Chola period and it remained this way until the 17th century, then under the Madurai Nayakas. The town is situated on the Kaveri River and is dominated by a granite rock rising 83 m over the town. On the summit of the rock there is a Nayaka fort, a recent Ganesha temple and halfway up there are two small cave temples built by the Pallavas. Three kilometres north of the city, on the island of Srirangam, there are the two large Hindu temple complexes: the Ranganatha and Jambukeshvara temples. This painting is a festival scene, with a religious edifice floating down the Kaveri River.